Celery is loaded with healthy nutrients and you should consume celery every day! This amazing vegetable comes from the same family with parsley and fennel (the Umbelliferae family). Did you know that celery can grow to the height of up to 16 inches? Amazing, right? The white celery is grown shaded from direct sunlight, thus has less chlorophyll, compared to its greener counterparts. The celery ribs are usually crunchy and are often used to make soup or salad. It has a salty taste, so celery juice is a good mix with the sweeter fruit juices. Depending on variety, some may taste very salty.
Celery – Nutritional Benefits:
Celery leaves contain high amounts of vitamin A! And, the stems contain high amounts of vitamins B1, B2, B6 and C with rich supplies of potassium, folate, calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, sodium and plenty essential amino acids. The experts say that the nutrients in the fiber are released during juicing, aiding bowel movements. The natural organic sodium (salt) in celery is very safe for consumption, in fact is essential for the body. And, you’ll be amazed when we tell you that even individuals who are salt-sensitive can safely take the sodium in celery, unlike table salt (iodised sodium) which is harmful for those with high blood pressure. While many foods lose nutrients during cooking, most of the compounds in celery hold up well during cooking.
Celery – Health Benefits:
First of all, you should know that this amazing vegetable has always been associated with lowering of blood pressure. When combined with other juices, it provides different formula that help other conditions. A recent study has revealed that celery might also be effective in combating cancer.
The most common health benefits of celery juice:
- Acidity – how this works? Well, according to the experts, the important minerals in this magical juice effectively balance the body’s blood pH, neutralizing acidity. This is a good reason why you should drink celery juice every day.
- Athletes – you should also know that this super healthy juice acts as the perfect post-workout tonic as it replaces lost electrolytes and rehydrates the body with its rich minerals.
- Blood Pressure – the experts say that celery has organic sodium that actually reduces blood pressure rather than increases it. Drinking celery juice every day for a week significantly helps lower blood pressure. Celery juice contains a compound called phtalides, which help relax the muscle around arteries, dilating the vessels and allowing blood to flow normally. And, if you want to get the best results, you should drink the celery juice for one week, stop for three weeks, and then start over. You’ll be amazed by the results.
- Cancer – I really think that you’ll be amazed when we tell you that this super healthy vegetable is known to contain at least eight families of anti-cancer compounds. Celery contains even the acetylenics, which have been shown to stop the growth of tumor cells. Phenolic acids which block the action of prostaglandins that encourage the growth of tumor cells. And coumarins which help prevent free radicals from damaging cells.
- Cholesterol – yes, this super healthy juice is also very useful in regulating and lowering the total cholesterol (especially the LDL (bad) cholesterol).
- Colon and stomach cancer – the phytochemical coumarins found in celery prevents the formation and development of the colon and stomach cancers.
- Constipation – celery has powerful laxative properties and it will help you relieve constipation. This super healthy vegetable also helps relax nerves that have been overworked by man-made laxatives.
- Cooling – ladies and gentlemen, during dry and hot weather, you should definitely drink a glass of celery juice two or three times a day, between meals. It will help you normalize body temperature.
- Diuretic – celery contains high amounts of sodium and potassium, which means that it will help you regulate thr body fluids and stimulate urine production, making it an important help to rid the body of excess fluid.
- Inflammation – the polyacetylene compound, found in celery is an amazing relief for all inflammation like rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, asthma and bronchitis.
- Kidney function – you should also know that celery promotes healthy and normal kidney function by aiding elimination of toxins from the body. While eliminating toxins, it also prevents formation of kidney stones.
- Nervous system – celery contains high amounts of organic alkaline minerals, and they have a calming effect on the nervous system, making it a wonderful drink for insomniacs.
- Weight loss – yes you should drink celery juice every day. It will speed up the weight loss process, because it helps curb your cravings for sweets and rich food.
- Urinary stones – and last, but not least important, the diuretic effect of celery juice also aids the breaking and elimination of urinary and gall bladder stones.
Note: ladies and gentlemen, you can expect many more healing benefits from celery juice as you consume its natural sodium.
- Make sure you consume green celery (where possible) for its chlorophyll.
- Make sure that the ribs are still firm, not limp.
- If you want to keep it in the fridge, you should keep celery in a sealed container or wrap in a plastic bag.
- Do not leave it at room temperature for too long as it tends to wilt quickly.
- Ladies and gentlemen, if your celery has wilted, sprinkle it with a little water and put it in the refrigerator for a few hours. It will regain its crispness.
Ladies and gentlemen, this is very important for you to know – celery is such a succulent plant that it produces its own “pesticide” to protect itself from fungi. The experts say that this protective layer is also known by the name psoralens, and it protects the celery, may not go down so well with some people. So, if you begin having skin problems after eating celery, it might mean that you have some sensitivity to psoralens. And, one more thing – some people with low blood pressure had complained that celery makes their blood pressure even lower. This means that you should avoid celery if you have low blood pressure. Listen to your body when you take celery and you don’t have to worry about anything. We really hope you find this article helpful and don’t forget to share it with your friends and family. Thank you and have a good one.